Shallow Water Lifeguard Certification
Are you looking for an exciting occupation that provides a flexible schedule and competitive
pay? If so, becoming a lifeguard may be for you! Join us for a shallow water certification course
that provides you with the confidence to become an everyday hero.
This course provides entry-level participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatics emergencies in shallow water up to 5 feet deep and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Upon completion of this course, participants will receive American Red Cross certificate for Shallow Water Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED valid for 2 years.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final day of the course
- Swim 100 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete the following events in 50 seconds:
- ○ Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- ○ Return to the surface and swim 20 yards and return to the starting point.
- ○ Surface dive to a depth of 4-5 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- ○ Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Face may be in or out of the water.
Three Days – November 17-19, 2023
Online & In Person
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass the CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid and Shallow Water Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with minimum grades of 80 percent.
Complete the form below to let us know you want to register. We will call you to register you via phone. You can also reach us at 412-230-1000 with questions or to register.